Helps coordinate an organized and smoothly-run Deli Service Department. Duties include: sandwich preparation, cheese station, maintenance and cleanliness of hot and cold food bars, grab & go foods, deli case and miscellaneous areas, pastries, catering orders and pick-ups, coffee/tea stations, and the City Market Deli Caf?, as well as storage of paper goods and miscellaneous supplies. Helps motivate and provide Deli staff with the support required ensuring the highest level of service possible to the City Market shopper. Helps support department objectives for sales, margin and labor % goals.
Reporting to the (Position Manager), the (Title) is responsible for providing the highest level of service possible to our customers, vendors, co-workers and community. This position is also required to maintain the highest standards of professionalism and contribute towards a positive work environment that requires the highest standard of personal conduct.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Provide excellent customer service. * Supervise deli shift ensuring the following: * Proper sanitation * Proper safety * Prep work is completed timely and correctly * Deli Staff is producing a consistent quality product that meets defined specifications * Ensures deli staff is giving excellent customer service * Greet and offer assistance to customers in a prompt and friendly manner. * Clean and stock deli cases before and after each shift. * Maintain coffee bar cleanliness and par stocks. * Ensure coffee dispensers are clean and filled at all times. * Maintain bakery area cleanliness and insure products are rotated and merchandised correctly. * Maintain City Market Deli Caf? cleanliness at all times. * Stock bulk products in Deli cases as necessary including deli meats, cheeses and prepared foods. * Administer shift break schedules. * Train newly-hired staff in accordance with the Deli Training Guide. Keeps accurate records and assures each trainee is signed off. * Assure recipe & food presentation in the deli are performed in accordance with department specifications. * Assures staff communication is complete through shift huddles * Informs Prep foods manager of recipe adjustments or corrections * Communicates departmental needs to Prepared Foods Manager on a regular basis. * Keep coolers and reach-ins clean and product rotated maintaining accurate par levels set by shift, team and prepared foods managers. * Ensures attractive displays and rotation of fresh and prepared foods in all areas. Checks sell-by dates and product quality both in refrigerated cases and kitchen coolers. Schedules and facilitates theme decorations for the department and works with other departments on cross merchandising as assigned. * Responsible for encouraging and answering all customer suggestions, requests and complaints pertaining to the Prepared Foods Department. Helps to ensure that each member in the department maintains the highest stand of courteous, professional customer service and sensitivity to customers needs. Promotes outstanding internal customer service to ensure approachability and smooth working relations with all departments. The Deli Service Leader and department employees must be familiar with membership information and must be able to provide this information to current and prospective members. * Helps to ensure optimum stock levels of prepared foods are maintained. Helps to maintain inventory levels with consideration to approved inventory turns and controlled shrinkage. Places daily/ weekly orders for takeout and paper. Participates with monthly/yearly inventory recording. * Ensures that all departments invoices and return vouchers are filed appropriately with the Prepared Foods Manager. Reports any changes in shift/schedules to Deli Service Supervisor in a timely manner. Record waste and transfers in a timely manner. * Assure scheduled food temperatures are taken and entered into temperature log. Report any issues to Prepared Foods Managers. * Ensures that department is attractive, clean and that all equipment is well maintained. Implements and maintains approved safety and sanitation programs in the department. Ensures that department meets all health Department and OSHA requirements. * Remains abreast of changing member/customer needs. Helps provide the atmosphere in which the product is presented and to supply high quality products that are well merchandised at all times. * Be a team player. A team player is one who has the willingness to consider the effects of ones own decisions on others and has the ability to focus on the larger Co-op goals rather than individual concerns. * Attend all required meetings, training, seminars and workshops. Take responsibility for self-education and staying informed. * Perform other duties as assigned by the Prepared Foods Managers. * Assists management in assuring commensurate staffing levels for business levels by reviewing and giving feedback on the posted schedule weekly. May make adjustments to the schedule with managements approval while following the Collective Bargaining Agreement. * Adhering to policies as outlined in the City Markets Employee Guide and Collective Bargaining Agreement. * Be proactive with regard to creative self-learning and professional development. Attend all required meetings, trainings, seminars and workshops. * Follow all department policies and procedures in order for City Market to adhere to all State, Federal and OSHA regulations. * Support the Co-ops Global Ends, Co-op Principles and Diversity Statement * Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability and/or attributes required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Minimum of two years supervisory experience in a restaurant, deli or sandwich establishment OR completion of an accredited culinary program and one year supervisory experience in a restaurant, deli or sandwich establishment OR at least two years of experience as deli service staff at City Market. * Ability to lead by example, train and motivate others, act as a positive role model. * Outstanding customer service skills. * Ability to demonstrate clear and expressive verbal and written communication skills, as well as genuine active listening skills. * Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment where teamwork and constant communication is essential. * Experience working with systems and procedures to provide for efficient, safe and productive foodservice operations. * Ability to meet expectations of regular, predictable attendance, including nights and weekends. * Demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments. * Attend all required meetings, training, seminars and workshops. Take responsibility for self-education and staying informed. * Be a team player. A team player is defined by the Co-op as \"the willingness to consider the effects of one's own decisions on others. The ability to focus on larger Co-op goals rather than individual concerns.\" * Perform other duties as requested. * Ability to work a flexible schedule including mornings, evenings, weekends and occasional late nights.
* High school diploma or GED equivalent. * Servesafe Certification (within one year of employment.)
* Knowledge of natural and conventional foods and the food industry preferred.
* Ability to speak/understand English language and read/comprehend simple instructions.
* Solid understanding of Microsoft Office Suite * Public Speaking and presentation skills preferred.
* Must be articulate and demonstrate clear verbal and written communication skills, as well as genuine active listening skills. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedural documents. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from employees, managers, customers and other stakeholders. Must consistently follow-through and be timely with communication.
* Ability to apply deductive reasoning and carry out complex instructions and the ability to deal with changing situations with multiple variables, and the ability to make reasoned decisions within established guidelines.
* Must be able to stand and walk for up to an 8 hour shift, use hands to handle and feel, talk, hear, see at a distance of at least 40 feet, carry and lift up to 50-75 lbs., including overhead frequently. * Work places many physical demands on employee consistent with stocking product in a grocery environment, and commercial kitchen, occasionally including freezers, coolers and cooking line.
Excellence in this position
* Sense of humor! * Curiosity and desire to learn. * Consistent effort made to focus on the larger City Market/Co-op goals rather than individual concerns. * Commitment to superior customer service and to provide the highest quality and convenient shopping experience possible. * Be a team player. A team player is one who has the willingness to consider the effects of ones own decisions on others and has the ability to focus on the larger Co-op goals rather than individual concerns.
* This position has access to information necessary to perform job tasks and is expected to treat City Market employee and customer service interactions with appropriate discretion.
Decision Making Authority
* Non-exempt, work directed by others, decisions focus on individual responsibilities within relatively narrow guidelines, yet can affect customer satisfaction. * Have the ability to implement plans as directed by the Prepared Foods Manager. As assigned,. Helps to train the work of others by a hands on approach. Make decisions within established guidelines. Participate in group decisions making for departmental planning.
* Noise level is moderate. May be required to work in high, precarious places, work near moving mechanical parts, work near some chemicals and work in frequent outdoor weather conditions.
Associated topics: chef, commercial, corporate, dining chef, executive, executive chef, head chef, kitchen, service manager, sushi chef
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.